Low Temp PAN
PanScan: RHK’s new Pan-style scanner, or “PanScan,” is the core of the RHK LT product line. The compact size and non-magnetic construction of PanScan make it ideal for mK and high magnetic-field applications. PanScan is available with STM and AFM-qPlus, switchable in vacuum.
PanScan Quick Specifications
- STM and optional AFM-qPlus, switchable in vacuum
- Chilled probe and sample, suitable for milli-K environments
- Sample size: 10mm x 10mm (standard), uses typical flat plate sample holder
- Imaging samples up to 700 K (see Specialty systems)
- Able to retract tip and re-approach in same area with high accuracy
- Non-magnetic construction appropriate for high-Tesla environments
- Coarse positioning XYZ: 5mm x 5mm x 10mm
- Scan range: 5µ x 5 µ XY at RT
- Change probes without removing sample
All Pan-style scan heads owe their origin and name to Dr. Shuheng Pan, University of Houston Physics, who was the original developer of the basic motor style. His Pan scanner is well-known for its stability in extreme environments but was not a commercial design. RHK collaborated directly with Dr. Pan to commercialize his design. RHK enhanced the original by adding XY offsets, insitu tip exchange, multiple points of optical access, and AFM-qPlus probes – all in a remarkably rugged and compact modular package.
PanScan is ideal for true LT-cooled probe and sample research. PanScan systems can use simple flow cryostats with double thermal shields to achieve 10-15 K, or long hold-time bath cryostats achieving 4 K to milli-K and equipped with multi-Tesla fields. Uniquely designed for easy adaptation, PanScan can also fit into existing chambers to provide an affordable UHV SPM station on other analysis or process instruments already in place in a laboratory.
RHK provides PanScan as a fully integrated system enhanced with a variety of preparation and analysis chambers, or as a subsystem or core technology Kit for homebuilt applications. Uniquely customized PanScan models are also available for direct-loading of large MBE samples or unusual sample sizes; imaging from LT to High Temperature on the same sample stage; novel photon capture; and vertical sample surfaces for specialized beam applications (see PanScan Family Tree). All PanScan SPMs are equipped with R9, RHK’s new one-box solution for advanced STM and AFM control.